Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Baked French Toast

I have been dying to make this for quite some time now and since the mister had to work on Mother's Day (there should be a law against that), I decided that was the perfect time to whip this up (on Saturday) so I could just pop it in the oven on Sunday.  It was absolutely delicious and I can't wait to make it again.

From: Annie's Eats 

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 c milk (or half and half)
1/4 cup maple syrup*
1 T vanilla extract
1 t ground cinnamon
Dash grated nutmeg
1 small French baguette, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5-6 cups)

*I did not have maple syrup which I will be rectifying soon so I used a mixture of cane syrup and corn syrup. It was still delish.

In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and whisk briefly.  Add the milk, syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk well until the mixture is evenly combined.  Stir in the cubes of bread until evenly coated.

Grease a casserole dish (I used 9x13 and it was a little too big. Corning ware or Pyrex might be a better choice) and pour in the now soaked bread.  Cover and refrigerate at least two hours or up to overnight.

When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375˚ F.  Remove the plastic wrap from the dishes.  Bake for 30-40 minutes or until puffed up and light golden brown.  Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.

Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Add berries or bananas (we did bananas) and syrup. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment