Monday, November 19, 2012

Bed update (& other randoms)

Random "let's redo the bedroom" updates:

  1. Painting furniture is hard. Now I know why the local unfinished furniture store charges $200 per piece for them to paint it. And they probably have a fancy sprayer.

  2. The mister puttied and sanded all three pieces of our bed by Friday. Friday night I primed the footboard. Saturday I spent all day painting. I was able to get two coats of paint on the footboard (holy pain in the ass) and also prime and get two coats on the base of the bed. They look fantastic. We decided to go with a slightly off white color, Swiss Coffee from Behr. No thanks to the uber helpful (not) paint guy. I really hate Home Depot. Lowe's needs to build closer to me so I can stop shopping there.

  3. The headboard is fucking heavy so I had to wait for the mister to help me. Sunday I was sore from painting while laying on the concrete outside so I spent the day making an assload of rolls for Thanksgiving. And two pie crusts. When he got home Sunday night he helped me move the headboard into a position where I could either lean it against our house or a table. Let's label that as "where things went south"...

    I tried to lean the headboard against the table so I could start priming and promptly cracked the post on the bottom. Which led me to freak and move too fast which sent the rest of this thing slamming into the side of my house. No worries, headboard is fine. My siding is now missing a chunk but whatever. The post is also fine. I'm just a drama queen. Mister sanded it down and it looks as good as new. We determined at that point that I could not paint this thing by myself.

    So we'll have to do it together, which is fine except that means I have to wait till he gets home each day which is usually closer to 6:30 and then we eat dinner and then put the girl to bed and by then it's 8, and we're both tired, yo. And we're about to leave for two days for Thanksgiving so that's two days lost. I was hoping to be sleeping in my new fab bed by this weekend but at this rate I'll be lucky if it's Christmas. So I'm a little frustrated to say the least.

  4. Timeline: hopefully we can prime the headboard tonight and maybe paint coat one (the primer dries really fast). Then coat two tomorrow night. Poly on Thursday night/Friday then another coat of poly after that one, hopefully on Saturday. Then it needs to cure outside for a couple days. So maybe by Dec 1? That would be awesome. However I also MUST put up my Christmas decor this weekend soooo....yeah. I need a PA.

  5. I'm getting a massage when all this is done.

  6. None of the previously talked about dressers were available. Still searching. I did find an awesome set of nightstands that I wouldn't even have to redo but they are part of a set and the seller wasn't sure if she wanted to split it up. Which I understand. She said she'd split them if the set hadn't sold by the end of the week. Fingers crossed.
 They are fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment