Thursday, December 6, 2012

39 min, 30 sec

That, my friends, is the finish time for my first ever 5k.

I know! It took me 11 months to do an 8 week program but I did it! I ran a 5k! I'm still kind of shocked by the whole thing. I had been running a couple times a week since July then I took a couple weeks off then the race was coming up fast so I picked it up again. 2 nights before the race I ran 3 miles in 41 minutes. I really wanted to be under 40 for the 5k.

We got there early, even with traffic issues so there was plenty of time for me to get nervous. When I saw the map of the route, I almost fainted. But once it started, I was feeling good. Trying not to go too fast but my RunKeeper app kept telling me I was running something insane like an 11 minute mile and I was like, shit, I have got to slow down. The first mile and a half went great. Then I had to walk for about 30 seconds but I was still doing ok. The next half a mile felt like it took forever. When my app told me I was at 2 miles, I was like, SERIOUSLY, because I felt like I had gone SO FAR since the 1.5 mile mark. I had to walk again and I was totally pep talking myself at that point. I knew I wanted to finish strong so I told myself that I would walk for a minute and really catch my breath because I was going to run the last mile - no stopping.

A mistake I made was trying to get some water at the last water station, I feel like that cost me about 10 seconds because this other girl stepped in front of me. I might have cursed at her. Maybe that was just in my head. Probably not. Anyway, I could see the end and was pumped. My chip time was 39:30 which is awesome. I was very excited and totally partook in some beer and a bacon cheeseburger afterwards. It was as delicious as it sounds.

So yay me! IDK if I will do another one or not. I swore I was quitting running as soon as this race was over but if I know me, I'll want to beat my time because I'm a dumb overachiever. And my crazy running friends are already bugging me about the next one. Freaks.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! That is so exciting and an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete