Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Let's play a game

Drink everytime I said "bed" in this post. Ok? Go.

Bed. That's one.

So there's no longer a bed in my bedroom. It's in my dining room now! Yay!

We've officially given Mother Nature the middle finger after this weekend. If you recall, the footboard has had some poly "issues". Let's recap what we've learned about poly:

  1. It doesn't like humidity
  2. It doesn't like cold weather
So of course December is the perfect month to be doing this. <-- loaded with sarcasm. dripping actually.

The mister sanded it down in places where the poly had cracked so on a GORGEOUS Sunday morning I repainted it and I was like "NO MORE PAINTING, HOLLA!" and then the sky opened up and even though it was under the carport, the wind was blowing so hard, the mother fucking footboard got wet and I wanted to cry.

It didn't get really wet, just enough to ruin my paint job. So we hauled it in the house, toweled it off and let it sit in the dining room next to the headboard for the rest of the day. This was the point where I typed up a little Craigslist ad in my head. It goes something like this:

"Solid pine bed. $300. Almost completely finished. About to cause divorce. Must sell immediately. You pick up."

Ok, it's not that bad...yet. I still love the bed. I know it's going to look fabulous if it's ever done. Friday marks one month, btw that I sang the husband's praises for building this thing. But who's counting...

So here's where we stand now: The headboard is like 98% done. It has two coats of poly on everything except the very top because that rests against our wall. So one of us will have to hold it up while the other quickly applies a coat or two and it will be DONE. Praise Jesus. Hopefully that will happen tonight. Not shockingly, the poly dries very quickly when in normal conditions aka not 100% humidity.

The footboard had to be sanded again. I repainted it but the cracked poly was still showing through. What the hell is in that stuff?? So he sanded the cracked areas down to the wood. It will need YET ANOTHER coat of paint. And then I don't even know what. Hopefully it will be fine and we can poly it and be done. Worst case is that it still looks cracked. I really don't know what we'd do at that point. Let's just not even go there. My head is about to explode just thinking about it.


In other news, I hate Taylor Swift. Every time the radio plays one of her songs a kitten dies. So remember that before making a request.

5 drinks which is less than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment