Monday, February 6, 2012

Homemade Pretzels

This has been on my foodie bucket list for a looooong time. Soft pretzels just always seemed very intimidating and the ingredient list had a couple things I wasn't familiar with. But I was determined to make a smaller, bite-size version for Super Bowl Sunday and like the blog gods were smiling down on me, the very next day a recipe for pretzel bites popped up in my reader. That is not the recipe I used though. That recipe caused me to do a search which led me to this recipe which is the one I used. I had everything I needed in my pantry which is just the way I like it.

From Pennies on a Platter

Ingredients:
4 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp kosher salt + more for topping
1 1/2 c warm water (115-120)
1 pkg instant yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
22 oz AP flour (approx 4 1/2 cups)
2/3 c baking soda
1 egg yolk + one tablespoon water


Combine butter, sugar, salt, and water to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add yeast then flour. Mix with dough hook on low until the dough comes together. Then mix on medium for 4-5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides. Take the dough out. Lightly grease the mixing bowl with nonstick spray, put the dough back in, cover with saran wrap, and place in a warm spot for about 45 minutes to an hour or until it doubles.

Once your dough has doubled...

Preheat oven to 450.  Get two to three cookie sheets and use nonstick mats (if you have them) or parchment paper.  Put a large stockpot of water on the stove.

Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and cut into 30-32 pieces (I use my bench scraper for this). Form into mini pretzels and place on the cookie sheets. Nikki has provided a handy picture on her blog of how to form the pretzels.

Bring water to a boil and SLOWLY add baking soda to boiling water. I really wish she would have mentioned that if you dump 2/3 cup of baking soda into a pot of boiling water, a mini volcano happens in your kitchen.

Working 2 at a time, boil pretzels for 30 seconds then place on the nonstick cookie sheet. Brush with the egg yolk wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake on 450 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Try not to forget your second batch in the oven like I did.

Serve with homemade honey mustard. Recipe to come.

These were really, really delicious.  Within about 20 minutes of us arriving, 3/4 of these were gone.  Making the pretzels is by far the most time consuming part. Otherwise, these came together pretty easily.  If you're an experienced yeast baker, this will be easy peasy for you. Enjoy!

1 comment: