Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I still bleed purple & gold

I'm sure most of you watched last nights debauchery of a football game between Bama and LSU, my alma mater (geaux tigers). If not, shame on you because college football is awesome.

Obviously I'm not happy with the outcome. They played like crap, the coaching was crap...there was a lot of crap on that field. What was not crappy was the way Bama played. They played their hears out and deserve every ounce of the championship. Congrats to them and I mean that very sincerely. I loved Nick Saban when he was here (as did every tiger fan) and even though he totes screwed us over for another SEC team, there's no point in denying that he's an amazing coach. So congrats to him as well.

Here's the point of this post. I do not get some of the reactions that I'm seeing to this loss. My POV:

1. Fire Les Miles - really? Fire him? Yes, this was an important game, possibly the most important of his career at LSU (sidenote: is it just me or is that said about every flipping game?). But fire him? We had an amazing season! We went 13-1, are SEC West champions, and the overall champions of the SEC! I have loved Les Miles since the day he came to this city. He had the biggest shoes to fill and baby, he has filled them to the brim. People who jump on the "fire Les Miles" bandwagon should probably go play in traffic.

2. Fair weathered fans - yes, they exist, I'm not denying that. But holy shit, LSU fans are anything but fair weathered. They might be pissed for the next few months (yes, months. we hold a grudge.) but they still love their tigers no matter what the outcome. That being said, if an LSU fan last night congratulated Bama on their win or even said ::gasp:: Roll Tide, how is that being fair weathered? Perhaps they were just recognizing that Bama brought their A-game and we most definitely did not. Or perhaps LSU fans aren't nearly as obnoxious as we are labeled? Don't you think that's a pretty good show of sportsmanship to be able to congratulate your rival team for whipping your ass in the National Championship game, in your backyard? Bottom line: being a good sport = / = fair weathered fan.

3. Rematch - I swear I rolled my eyes so hard when I saw this, I think I pulled a muscle. Someone on my Facebook feed had a status that read something like this, "So when's the real championship game?! We're 1-1! Rematch!" Or something like that. Holy shit, let it go. We came, we fought, we lost. Done. They are the champions, we are not. It sucks and I hate it but a rematch, seriously? That makes us look like those fucking whiners over at USC (I hate USC.). Does anyone else recall the 2003 National Championship when we beat Oklahoma and USC was whining and so there was a split championship? Yeah, that was bullshit.

4. The BCS sucks - I actually agree with this one. The whole no playoff system is screwed up every single year. Seriously. EVERY year there is controversy. Supposedly they are "revamping" it this year but I think they say that every year. That being said, I am not about to say that Bama didn't deserve to be in that game last night. Now, had you asked me that question at 6:59pm, I would have said no way. They didn't win their conference. We beat them once. Boom. But then they played. And they handed our asses to us. And basically proved that they absolutely deserved to be in that game. So I realize this last POV is a totally contradictory but whatev.

So that's it. I've said my piece. Huge, huge congrats to Bama on their win. We'll see you next year in Death Valley.

No matter the outcome of any game, I love LSU and my tigers fiercely. Being an alumni of such an amazing university is about so much more than any football game.

GEAUX TIGERS!

2 comments: