Wednesday, January 11, 2012

True Colors by Kristin Hannah

Since this is a blog of all trades and I love to read, I am doing my version of book reviews. If I can impart my love o' reading onto someone, I can consider my work here done.

This is my second Kristin Hannah book. The first one I read was Firefly Lane and if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I do not recommend reading it in public since by the end, I was crying the ugly cry and waking MrShoe up with my sobbing hysterics. It possibly doesn't help that I was 4 months pregnant at the time. Regardless, it is an amazing book and I absolutely loved it.

Anyway.

So I downloaded True Colors to my nook on a whim the week before Christmas and finally got around to reading it a week later.  It's a story about three sisters in a small town in Washington state. The book spans across twenty years or so and mostly follows two of the three sisters and their love lives and careers (which often overlap). A murder in the small town tears the family in two and it takes a very unlikely character to try and bring them back together again. I don't want to post anything spoilerish so I'll stop there.

I closely identified with the oldest sister in this book, Winona. Like so closely, that I had to set the book down in amazement at times. She is definitely the problem solver in the family; very head strong and always right (hi.). However, this does backfire on her in many ways and comes close to tearing her family apart. The father is also a force to be reckoned with and in many ways, reminds me of my own dad.

Overall, the book was great and I do recommend it if you are looking for something not too heavy but semi-serious. A couple times I was a bit exasperated at how she carried out the story line to areas that I thought maybe shouldn't have been dwelled on so much but I did like the ending and it was good enough to keep me up until 2am. Not quite as good as Firefly Lane but another great read by Kristin Hannah for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment